Dr. Zahi Hawass confirmed that all the antiquities at the American university in Cairo (AUC) storage are registered and recorded in the ministry of Antiquities files in 1985. The objects are registered in 3 different Islamic antiquities logs and archives of Fustat excavations (Fustat was the first capital of Egypt after the Arab entered Egypt) since 1964 and the AUC received them according to the Antiquities law No. 215 year 1951 which allowed sharing of 50% of the objects found during the excavation between Egypt and the foreign mission working on the site which was altered in 1983 to 10% in Act 117 of Antiquities till it was cancelled at all in the new antiquities law last year.
The excavations were led at that time by Prof. George Scanlon, who is a Professor of Islamic Art and Architecture in the Department of Arab and Islamic Civilizations at the American University in Cairo. He received his BA in 1950 from Swarthmore College and his MA (1956) and PhD (1959) from Princeton University.
Dr. Abd El monem Abu Baker (Archaeology Professor at Cairo University) was the head of the committee that done the sharing process and he said it used to be done at the Egyptian Museum.
Dr. Hawass revealed that the last time to check the state of those objects in the possession of AUC was on 21st of April 2010.
Other objects were stolen from the same collection in 28th June 1989.
A committee of archaeologists at the Ministry of Antiquities did an inventory of the antiquities storage at the AUC after the breaking in and theft. The committee has been working form 15th March till 17th March and the results were 145 genuine objects missing and 50 replicas objects.